Friday, January 21, 2011

New Year - New Resolutions (for Make-Up)

Editted on 2/2/11: Another website that lists brands that DO test on animals and brands that DO NOT - http://www.beautypedia.com/AnimalTesting.aspx.
Looks like Maybelline, L'Oreal, and Rimmel do not test on animals! I guess I'll continue buying from those brands then or maybe not. I need to stop shopping .___.
The new year has rung in & we've all made new resolutions! Oh, but maybe you're like me and have yet to or even want to write a new list of resolutions for 2011! I've never really made or followed resolutions but this year is different! I'm going to try my best to follow my beauty related products (& personal health) resolutions!

Basically, I have three things I want to change when it comes to cosmetics.
1) I need to blog more about my beauty-related escapades.
2) I need to buy less beauty-related products because I've accumulated SO MUCH for one face... You'll see that in my Hoarders series.
3) Inspired by Yuki of
Chez Yuki, I've decided to quit buying from brands that continue to test on animals. For a list of brands that do test on animals, click this link. Don't forget to do your own searches as many brands do still test on animals but are not listed on any official website.

Number 3 is a big one. I contemplated whether or not I could pull through with it but it's been 21 days since I've started my "practice run". Now I think it's safe to say, I can uphold this resolution. Although, it feels more like a promise! As of January 1, 2011, I vow never to purchase products that do not state they are: "cruelty-free" and "not tested on animals". I'm sure I'll be seeing less of Cover Girl, Colgate, Johnson & Johnson (Aveeno, Clean & Clear, Listerine, & Neutrogena), L'Oréal (Garnier, Lancôme, Maybelline, Vichy), Max Factor,  Olay, Oral-B, Rimmel and, Pantene in my household.
On the other hand, I have to admit that I am okay with animal testing when it comes to pharmaceuticals. I discussed a bit about animal testing with Rae of
The Notice before on her post about animal testing but since moving to her own domain, the comments were unable to transfer. Please do take a look here as I agree with what Rae said. However, when it comes to cosmetics - there are better ways of finding out what is dangerous and what is not. Animals should not have to suffer because of our vanity.
Most of the brands I bolded are brands I've used for many years & never thought twice about. I still have a lot of back-up Colgate toothbrushes & Pantene shampoos but once I'm finished using them, I will not be repurchasing. The same goes for every other brand. Although I have a lot of favorites from brands like Neutrogena, Maybelline, Clean & Clear (just to name a few), I can live without them. Until the animal testing stops, I can live without these brands!
Although some brands, the few that don't test on animals are likely to be pricier than brands that do test on animals, it's worth every penny & life. I hope you all think twice about the brands your purchasing from. This might even help save a lot of money as I wouldn't be trying new products that these brands try to push so hard. Not only am I going to be a kind shopper, I'll be a smart-super-saving shopper aswell! Another bright side: I'll be focusing more on brands like Wet n Wild, Physicians Formula, Annabelle, Almay, Revlon - just to name a few. I'm quite excited about that! Before I take off, a few questions for my readers :)

Question(s) of the Day:
What do you think about animal-testing? Do you think twice about brands that do test on animals or ignore it?
Top Question: Will you make a stand and discontinue the use of products from brands that contine to test on animals?

2 comments:

Yuki said...

I JUST NOW saw your tweet about the animal testing issue (no idea how to use Twitter HAHA). I know it's hard, since many popular brands test on animals. I hope you hang in there =) it's all for a good cause.

Ashley said...

Glad you learnt how to use Twitter. It's so addictive but amazing!
I'm doing fine so far with my NY Resolution. I'm not very tempted to buy cosmetics lately... *lies*

Post a Comment

Disclosure

Make-Up Kismet is a personal blog written and edited by myself. This blog was created to share my experiences with whom ever reads it.

All reviews posted are written by me and are my honest opinions. All products reviewed are purchased by me for personal and/or review purposes unless stated otherwise. Each person is different, as are our experiences. With that said, I cannot be held responsible for any unsatisfying reaction to a product I review or recommend.

Photos on this blog are either from Google, other Bloggers or, my own. I try to depict all products as accurately as possible. I may edit photos for this purpose.



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com